Hints on pronunciation for foreignersFeatured Podcast
I take it you already know
of tough and bough and cough and dough.
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead-it's said like bed, not bead.
For goodness sake, don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat.
They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for pear and bear.
And then there's dose and rose and lose
Just look them up--and goose and choose.
And cork and work and card and ward.
And font and front and word and sword.
And do and go, then thwart and cart.
Come, come I've hardly made a start.
A dreadful language? Man alive,
I'd mastered it when I was five
- Space Opera: Space opera is a subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes romantic adventure, and larger-than-life characters often set against vast exotic futuristic settings.
- My Favorite Type of Science Fiction: Space Opera
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
- Delm -- Head of Clan (Delm Korval, Korval Himself/Herself)
- Melant'i -- Who one is in relation to current circumstances. ALSO who one is in sum, encompassing all possible persons one might be.
- Nadelm -- Delm-to-Be
- Relumma -- Division of a Liaden year, equalling 96 Standard days. Four relumma equal one year.
- Thodelm -- Head of Line
- Partners In Necessity (Liaden Universe Novel): contains Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change, and Carpe Diem.
- Scout's Progress: a prequel
- Local Custom: a prequel
Very nice verse ;)ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing, and I have to admit that the English pronunciation and spelling drives me crazy sometimes. It's simply undescribable!