Forgotten Tales 4: The Steadfast Tin Soldier

Hans Christian Andersen: The Complete Fairy Tales and Stories (Anchor Folktale Library) 
In which Hans Christian Andersen's soldier proves his mettle in various adventures.
(download or listen via this link)

Read more of Hans Christian Andersen's works here.


  1. I was just reminiscing about this story with some friends on Christmas Day. No one but me knew it - which I thought was odd. Everyone remembered The Little Match Girl, of course.

  2. I remembered this story fondly from the big Complete Tales of Hans Christian Andersen that I had as a girl and so I bought a pretty picture book for the kids. But I was surprised that the story was not what I'd remembered. What I recalled fondly as a very romantic story has a much more ambiguous ending with the destruction of the soldier and the paper ballerina. I'm still trying to decide what I think of it.

    I do love The Little Match Girl and so do my daughters. It does seem to be a much more approachable story.


I can't hear you ...