11.06.2010

Episode 140: Genesis, chapters 1-2

In which we witness creation, from near and from afar.
Genesis, chapters 1-2
(download or listen via this link)
Book Information
  • This book is in under copyright. Forgotten Classics has been granted the non-exclusive right to read Robert Alter's translation of Genesis and his commentary. This book is published by WW Norton. Please contact Mr. Alter or his agent for any permissions. Many thanks to Robert Alter and Georges Borchardt for their graciousness in allowing us to read this book.
  • If you are enjoying this reading, please buy Genesis. It comes to life even more when you are able to see and ponder the words.
  • Story rating: R for adult situations and commentary.
  • I will do my best to properly pronounce any Hebrew words but cannot promise accuracy. Biblical words may be pronounced using this guide.
Podcast Highlight
Other Links

2 comments:

  1. Alter's translation starts in very very promising way. He captures the music of poetry, the wordplay if the ancient storytellers. And, thanks be to you, Julie; I am blind to printed poetry, I need someone to read it aloud to me to be able to appreciate the art of word. Well done, again.

    Especially I must say that you are doing fine with the Hebrew for someone who did not go to seminary to study for the divine orders. Only the transition from one footnote to the next or back to the body text was not everywhere quite fluid. Mostly, decently workable.

    Some more thanks for the additional information from the Arch. and other study handbooks. Highly illuminating, and I appreciate that you take the extra effort.

    Incidentally, in Finnish the word "ihminen" for "human being" is part of the colloquial everyday language, and is completely gender-neutral. In Swedish "människan", the human being, in contrast, is grammatically feminine.

    - o -

    During the intro I realized at one point that for quite some time now I have been hearing a jingling; why should I suddenly become aware of it? And a moment alter you tell the dogs not to scratch so enthusiastically during recording. Did I ever mention that you bring a wonderous feeling of togetherness, intimacy even? ;)

    (Do the dogs carry their complete tax history in their collars?)

    //Pirvonen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. That is so interesting and I am glad to hear that I am not butchering the Hebrew as completely as I could. The only Hebrew word I have ever heard regularly is Elohim (sp?) because our priest uses it regularly when discussing the Old Testament in our scripture studies.

    I am trying to figure out how better to do those footnotes. I hadn't realized how dependent it was on seeing the actual page. Any suggestions are welcome, believe me! :-)

    I realized later that the jingling was ongoing when I was proofing. Glad it makes you feel "at home" rather than being offputting! (The dogs have only their many jingling tags ... vaccination and name/address. Now that there are three of them the jingling just never seems to stop!)

    ReplyDelete

I can't hear you ...