12.16.2010

For Everyone Who, Like Me, Wished Connie Willis's Editor Had Been More Diligent

As the dedication in All Clear makes apparent, Willis' intent when writing these books was to celebrate and pay tribute to the ordinary people who sacrificed everything -- including their lives -- to help England endure through the harrowing war years. And she rises to the demands of honoring this history. One can only wish that she had given equal attention to the demands of fiction.
SF Site's review of Blackout and All Clear makes me positive I was wise to not read All Clear after dragging myself through Blackout ... my comments about Blackout may be read here.

To be fair, Amy H. Sturgis confirmed my decision much earlier.

I guess I just appreciate a nice turn of phrase. And these two books are very frustrating because Willis has long been a favorite author of mine.

1 comment:

  1. This book is only half the story, the rest will be out in the fall and is to be called _All Clear_. I didn't know that before I bought it, but I did when I had just started reading it, so I wasn't disappointed when I finished it. What's here is complex, tragic, funny, exciting and immersive. So involving that I looked up and plan to make bangers and mash for dinner tonight, a traditional English dinner, where this novel is set. *When* it is set is during World War II and the Blitz, a favorite time period of Willis' time travel science fiction. (To be found in Willis' novellas "The Winds of Marble Arch," and "Fire Watch" and the short story "Jack.") She begins each chapter with a quote such as: "It sounds callous - I don't know - but it was enormously exciting and tremendous fun." Flying Officer Brian Kingcome, on the Battle of Britain, 1940. Or "Wars are not won by evacuations." Winston Churchill after Dunkirk. "The girls won't leave without me, and I won't leave without the King. And the King will never leave." Queen Mary, on being asked why she hadn't evacuated the princesses to Canada.

    ReplyDelete

I can't hear you ...