11.30.2010

Fifteen Novels in Fifteen Minutes

I was tagged for this on Facebook (which I actually remembered to visit today), but it is too good to just leave there. Influenced is harder than "liked" ... but here we go ...

The Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. List, in no particular order) fifteen authors (poets included) who've influenced you and that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes.
  1. Rumer Godden
  2. Agatha Christie (nonfiction)
  3. Harriett Beecher Stowe
  4. Robert Alter (his OT translations)
  5. Flannery O'Conner (The Habit of Being)
  6. Dean Koontz
  7. CS Lewis
  8. Shirley Jackson
  9. Samuel Shellabarger
  10. Fulton Sheen
  11. Francis Fernandez (author of the In Conversation with God series)
  12. Nathaniel Hawthorne
  13. Robert R. Chase
  14. Charlotte Bronte
  15. M.F.K. Fisher
You're supposed to tag fifteen people but I decline that part. Not that I wouldn't like to see what Jesse Willis, Scott Danielson, Heather Ordover, Dr. Gemma, and Joseph (Zombie Parent)  would pick. I'm just sayin' ...

5 comments:

  1. Great list! I'll have to figure out a list of my own.

    I'm mostly posting to let you know I just put up a review of "The Secret Adversary" on Free Listens. Thanks for the great reading of a wonderfully entertaining book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In similar fashion to Julie, I will present my list in no particular order:

    1. Ray Bradbury
    2. Isaac Asimov
    3. Thomas Aquinas
    4. C. S. Lewis
    5. Mike Mignola
    6. J. R. R. Tolkein (there's a book of his letters that I found really inspiring)
    7. Fyodor Dostoevsky (though I did have to look up how to spell his name; how shameful is that?)
    8. Thomas More
    9. Robert Bolt (screenplays count, right?)
    10. Arthur Conan Doyle
    11. Agatha Christie
    12. St. Augustine
    13. Lemony Snicket
    14. Edgar Allan Poe
    15. Shakespeare (King Lear and Richard III have left their marks)

    I'm surprised that Bram Stoker didn't make your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listener, thank you so much for your very kind review! You made my day! And I am curious to see what list you might come up with. :-)

    Joseph ... Bradbury, Tolkien (I recently heard about that book of letter and must look for it), Augustine are all favorite for me. You are right that Stoker should have been on that list. It is funny how a 15-minute time limit clears the mind of all that it would normally pull from the depths! Dostoevsky is on my "must read" list ... maybe for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In no particular order
    1. Douglas Adams
    2. Stephen Jay Gould
    3. JRR Tolkien
    4. Jared Diamond
    5. CS Lewis
    6. Neil Stephenson
    7. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Letter from a B'ham Jail and sermons)
    8. Herodotus
    9. Neil Gaiman
    10. David McCoullough
    11. Harper Lee
    12. Shelby Foote
    13. William Shakespeare (a class in college opened my eyes)
    14. Oliver Sacks
    15. Arthur Conan Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listener ... I have heard before the King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail is great. Also, I had forgotten this but your inclusion of Oliver Sacks made me remember it ... reading The Man Who Tasted Shapes by Richard Cytowic was amazing because I had just discovered that Hannah had synesthesia and I was so grateful to have such a wonderful work that was so easy to understand (every other chapter anyway!). :-)

    ReplyDelete

I can't hear you ...