3.06.2010

Books I'd Like to Read to You

First the schedule as I know it, and then the "wish" list from my notebook. A work in progress, but here's a beginning at least. In no particular order.

Scheduled
  1. The Riddle in the Sands (requested by erqsome)
  2. Genesis (reader request by Glenn) - translation and commentary by Robert Alter, with kind permission of his agent
Here and there may be interspersed an author excerpt, some lagniappe, or a bit of Mouth Wide Open which is still unfinished.
==================================
Wish List
Definite
(public domain)
  1. Animal Pioneers - Catherine Coblentz (except that I can't find our copy and it is fabulously expensive to repurchase)
  2. The Wind Boy
  3. Popo's Miracle
  4. The Unforeseen - Dorothy Macardle
  5. The Gray Seal - Frank L. Packard (available on LibriVox but I'd like to give it a "proper" reading)
  6. Cabin on Kettle Creek or Blue Bird Fly Up or Here Comes Mary Ellen - May Justus (illustrated by my great-aunt Helen Finger)
Possible
(needs research or permissions given ... many of these I haven't had time to pursue. Any help gratefully accepted.)

  1. Lydia Bailey - Kenneth Roberts
  2. Prince of Foxes - Samuel Shellabarger
  3. Heidi's Alp
  4. Mutiny on the Bounty - Nordhoff & Hall
  5. While We Still Live - Helen MacInnes
  6. Elisabeth Ogilvie (numerous options)
  7. Carbonel, King of Cats - Barbara Sleigh
  8. Space Vulture - Gary K. Wolf and John J. Meyers (authors have given permission but publisher does not answer their requests to give me permission)
  9. The Franchise Affair - Josephine Tey
  10. Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
  11. Charlotte Armstrong (numerous options)
  12. Hard Hearts are for Cabbages
  13. Twelve Fair Kingdoms - Suzette Elgin
  14. The Flame Trees of Thikka
  15. Henry Treece - one of his Viking books
  16. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
  17. Alfred Bester
  18. Game of Fox and Lion - Robert R. Chase
  19. Marianne, the Magus & the Manticore - Sheri Tepper
  20. Bride of the Rat God - Barbara Hambly
  21. Murder to Go - Emma Lathen
  22. High Spirits - Robertson Davies
  23. A Cool Wind on the Underground
  24. Pamela Dean (numerous options)
  25. The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley
  26. Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin
  27. How to Cook a Wolf or An Alphabet for Gourmets by M.F.K. Fisher
  28. Emma Bull — maybe a short story? I'd like to read Territory but it's her newest.
  29. Uncharted Territory by Connie Willis
Author Highlights
(too popular or in copyright ... excerpts will be read under Fair Use)

  1. Saratoga Trunk - Edna Ferber (publisher denied permission)
  2. Mary Poppins
  3. Bambi
  4. 101 Dalmations
  5. Nigel Slater
  6. Bert Greene
  7. Delights & Prejudices - James Beard
Reader Requests
  1. O'Henry - memory escapes me on requester
  2. Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith - Erik

4 comments:

  1. My votes would be for:

    Genesis
    O'Henry
    Vicar of Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was an audiobook of The Blue Sword in the eighties sometime, on cassette, IIRC. It must have been released before 1986 or 1987, because that's when I think I listened to it. (It was library-priced, I think; I heard it from a library when I was staying at a summer university thing for high schoolers....)

    Searchy searchy....

    Ah. There was a later one from Recorded Books in 1992. CD. It's still "in print" and available from Recorded Books, for library prices. Hero and the Crown, same deal.

    http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=rb.show_prod&prod_id=DZ591

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not crazy after all! It was a two cassette abridgment from Amer School Pub. Strictly for libraries. They did The Dark Is Rising, too, and a lot of others. The company was a fairly old publishing house, but it doesn't seem to exist any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is for The Riddle in the Sands next. I'd love some O'Henry after that.

    ReplyDelete

I can't hear you ...